Monday, January 23, 2006

Wanderlust

Why is transportation so expensive?? It is really absurd how much time I spend just thinking about all the places I want to go, and then all the time I waste thinking about how I can afford to get there, and when is there time to go, et cetera et cetera ET CETERA! Life is so busy, I can't handle it...If everyone could at least just stop getting married for a year so that I can know that I have a substantial chunk of time where I can just flee the country, that'd be great.

For one thing, I MISS ISRAEL. It's so crazy to think that I lived there for an entire year, have an apartment there, and still haven't been back since my year in Brovenders, which is only growing further and further away. I miss Burger's Bar. I miss Burger King and Malkha Mall. I miss walking past the gorgeous houses on Rechov Leib Yaffe on my way to the Makolet. I miss Emek Refaim, and getting excited by all the stores named Dahlia, and dinners at Olive, and having sweet potato in all its different forms (bourekas! soup! ravioli! pie! There is just no end to what you can do with a sweet potato!), and Mamilla, and Shakespeare, my apartment in Netanya, and going to the beach, and going to Kikar Herzl, especially when there are flea markets, and stocking up on kosher candy, and taking pictures of the Kotel, and walking on Ben Yehuda, and getting Fro-Yo, and pointing out typos, and Cafe Rimon, and oh God I just miss it all so much.

Not to mention the incredibly lengthy list of other random places I'm still dying to go. I don't think Summer Abroad in Prague is going to happen, but I'd still love to go someday, almost as much as I'd love to go to Moscow. Still, my number one destination remains Istanbul, but Reykjavik, Morocco, and Spain are not so far behind. And Mexico. And Thailand. And Amsterdam. And Copenhagen. And Norway/Sweden. And Monaco, at least for a day, just to roll around in the absurd wealth. And while I didn't love Italy (sorry to all those for whom this is blasphemy), I'd still like to go to Venice, and of course Milan for some quality shopping. And how cool would it be to swim across the strait of Gibraltar? I know, I know! And yes, I do throw myself into cultures when I take a class on them, so I wouldn't mind a little stopover in Mongolia, if only I could handle the flight. Then again, if I were good at handling flights, I'd want to go to New Zealand and Australia, but I just couldn't handle the flight. No way. Oooh! Brazil. Definitely Brazil. And I still have some places in America too - I vow to go to New Orleans someday, hopefully in the near future, and Seattle - how could I still not have seen Kurt Cobain's house? Not to mention the Space Needle and the Experience Music Project. And even if it wasn't the home of Frasier Crane, dayenu. San Francisco, any takers?

Oh, so much rambling. Not sure what brought this on...oh right, maybe my thinking about it the ENTIRE DAY. Good night, and have a pleasant tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home