I Google Myself
You know how you sometimes just get in the mood to Google? You start Googling yourself, move on to your family, and suddenly you're typing in the names of everyone you know? Well, this time I Googled "Daily Dahlia," and not only does this blog come up, obviously, but apparently someone titled one of their posts on their blog "The Daily Dahlia" and now that comes up a bunch of times too. Seems unfair, although it was in the midst of the whole "The Black Dahlia" thing, and so I guess it's kind of clever. Also, if you keep looking, eventually you end up with a bunch of porn sites, because of course there's a porn start whose first name is Dahlia. Apparently, nothing is sacred.
As for Googling myself, well, that used to be a lot less interesting - one or two entries about Brovender's (sorry, sorry, Midreshet Lindenbaum), a bunch of posts from this blog, and a bunch of entries on OnlySimchas. Now I'm all over with this one stupid quote about cell phones, all because I was trying to help a fellow NYU journalist in need and responded to a query sent out over the listserv. Of course I'm listed as "New York City single," even though I wasn't at the time (In the words of the great Percy Daggs III/Wallace Fennel, "When you assume, you really just make an ass out of you") and in less than three weeks it'll be official. This wasn't so bad when it was only on FoxNews.com and then eventually picked up for some blog at Lehigh University, but now for some reason it's on phone sex sites. Like I said, there is nothing sacred.
I suppose I could just be happy that I'm out there. I always feel bad for Dahlia Adler-Levi, who always comes up just once or twice when I Google myself, and I think "aww, she's older than I am and she's just in this one place!" Like my name popping up because I posted on OnlySimchas for Judd Bogdansky's engagement is such an achievement. Oh yes, now I'm accomplished.
Speaking of which, anyone wanna give me a job?


1 Comments:
OK... so here's my 'I'm sitting in a cancer lab pretending to cure cancer but trying not to gouge my eyes out from boredom' take on this. Who decided that these were the goals; to be collected as early and quickly as possible? I'm not saying that they are not worthy goals, or the 'right' goals for almost everyone at certain points in their lives... But while we sit here and think about how smart we are, while we pat ourselves on the back for accomplishing all this before most people have a steady income, the rest of them are thinking that we are, in fact, nuts. And there is something to what they say. I can think of so many people that actually would like to be the mothers who spit babies out and take care of their kids. Instead they pick the most difficult paths in college, waste all their times collecting fancy degrees which they will certainly not use (or at least not enough to justify the half million dollar price tags on them) just so that they can accomplish these goals like everyone else. And it seems to me that in this whole process people have lost the point. They no longer see that if the goal is to be happy, that they spend a quarter of their lives doing things that make them miserable. it just seems stupid.
I think that instead of running to see how quickly you can spawn enough to justify getting that minivan, maybe they should think about getting drunk a little bit more in college.
Yeah... that should piss enough people off. I don't mean to pick solely upon a particular subset in the community because I certainly don't think that they are the only ones who should question what they are doing a little more, but I have to go pretend to cure cancer again.
Post a Comment
<< Home