Over the Loss of My Blog
I will now write another list, to cheer myself up over the loss of my blog. Best books ever, here we come! And off course, not in order.
1. Song of Solomon - Toni Morrisson (I wonder if this is as good if you don't read it in class...)
2. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger (I just overheard someone ask if JD Salinger was a girl or a guy. It made my life.)
3. The Godfather - Mario Puzo (Not just a hit movie, my friends.)
4. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith (The love of my 5th grade life...maybe not for the menfolk though.)
5. Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell (Because Rhett Butler is a sexy beast...this book is so good, that I registered for a lip gloss called Scarlett and Rhett for my b-day!)
6. Word of Honor - Nelson DeMille (This may just be because I love Vietnam, but seriously, so good. A little confusing, but you'll get it by the end.)
7. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden (So weird to know it was written by a man, but anyway, good book.)
8. Girl With a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier (Not that it's that phenomenal a book, but it's just such a good unusual setting, and an interesting story. Anyway, recommended.)
9. The Family - Mario Puzo (Intrigue, incest, and Pope Alexander VI as the original Don - it's tough to go wrong. Cesare Borgia, I love you.)
10. The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett (I love Ken Follett. So much so that I didn't mind that this book is over 1000 pages. And about the building of a cathedral.)
11. Shogun - James Clavells (Some parts are faster than others, but read the whole thing, which is also around 1000 pages, and you'll be glad you did. Who knew I liked so many 1000 page books?)
12. Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs - Chuck Klosterman (Just a good book of essays based on pop-culture-related things - including the Sims! - by a senior editor at Spin who also happens to be my favorite rock journalist with the possible exception of Michael Azzerad)
13. Mr. Maybe - Jane Green (Considerably more lowbrow than the others, but definitely my favorite chick book. If you like guys and sex, this is the book for you!)
14. The Frog King - Adam Davies (Whatever the guy version of chick lit is, but anyway, I liked this book, even though it's kinda depressing. It's good though, really.)
15. Nevermind, Nirvana - Mark Lindquist (I loved this book, so much that I e-mailed the author afterwards, and he wrote back and was really sweet. Also, a little hot. Not a bad combo.)
16. About a Boy - Nick Hornby (Again, not just a movie with a really ugly kid.)
17. The Kite Runner - (I'm a bad person, I forgot the author's name, but it's a great book. I love the writing style, and it's just so dramatic and graphic without overdoing it. I've been told not to read it in public because tears are inevitable. I didn't cry, but I feel like I should provide that caveat.)
18. Summer Sisters - Judy Blume (Again, this is definitely for the chicks. It makes everyone go, "oh, this is so all about me and _____". For me, it's Dani Leeds.)
19. Lolita - Vladimir Nabakov (OK, kinda gross subject matter but I really think this is the most beautifully written book of all time.)
20. The Other Boleyn Girl and The Queen's Fool - Philippa Gregory (I love historical fiction!)
Obviously, this doesn't include any Sweet Valley books or Tanakh/Gemara, but you know the love is there...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home