Monday, January 30, 2006

Dahlia's Hot 100

Spending my days at work on Pandora.com has gotten me thinking about the musical loves of my life, and in typical self-indulgent and list-obsessive fashion, I decided to make my top 100 list (of English-language songs), although it's REALLY NOT in any particular order because frankly, that's just too much work. I just wrote them down when I thought of them.

1. For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
2. Heart-Shaped Box - Nirvana
3. Mass Romantic - The New Pornographers
4. Sure Shot - Beastie Boys
5. Elias - Dispatch
6. El Scorcho - Weezer
7. Desperation Song - Carbon Leaf
8. Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
9. Twist - I Am Kloot
10. Come Out and Play - Offspring
11. Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine
12. The Unforgiven - Metallica
13. Even in his Youth - Nirvana
14. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
15. Hallelujah - Rufus Wainright
16. Hold On - Jet
17. I'm Only Happy When it Rains - Garbage
18. Cover This - Dispatch
19. Heroin Girl - Everclear
20. Johnny Royale - Beastie Boys
21. Say It Ain't So - Weezer
22. Sweet Child 'o Mine - Guns 'n Roses
23. Clumsy - Our Lady Peace
24. Tourniquet - Marilyn Manson
25. Violet - Hole
26. E-Pro - Beck
27. Low - Cracker
28. Gold Digger - Kanye West
29. Like a Prayer - Madonna
30. Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger
31. Closer - Nine Inch Nails
32. Mr. Exploita - Pilfers
33. Mabel - Golfdinger
34. Long Hard Road Out of Hell - Marilyn Manson
35. Losing My Religion - REM
36. Paint it Black - Rolling Stones
37. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
38. Black Velvet - Alannah Myles
39. America - Simon & Garfunkel
40. Down Rodeo - Rage Against the Machine
41. Sold as Seen - I am Kloot
42. Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun - Beastie Boys
43. Jane Says - Jane's Addiction
44. Creep - Radiohead
45. Re-Offender - Travis
46. Careful - Guster
47. Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz
48. Welcome to Paradise - Green Day
49. Where is my Mind? - The Pixies
50. Kick the PA - Korn
51. 99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger
52. Man on the Moon - REM
53. Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson
54. Novocaine For the Soul - the Eels
55. 21st Century Digital Boy - Bad Religion
56. Beautiful Disaster - 311
57. All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
58. Don't Cry - Guns 'n Roses
59. Jesus of Suburbia/City of the Damned/I Don't Care/Dearly Beloved - Green Day
60. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
61. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
62. American Girl - Tom Petty
63. I am a Pig - Two
64. Mungo City - Spacehog
65. Strong - Robbie Williams
66. Bullet and a Target - Citizen Cope
67. The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
68. Weak - Skunk Anansie
69. Criminal - Fiona Apple
70. Not an Addict - K's Choice
71. Tonight, Tonight - Smashing Pumpkins
72. Run On - Moby
73. As Wicked - Rancid
74. Jesus Walks - Kanye West
75. Glycerine - Bush
76. Just a Girl - No Doubt
77. April 29, 1992 - Sublime
78. Waterfalls - TLC
79. Ride - The Vines
80. I Wanna Be Your Dog - Iggy Pop & the Stooges
81. Hard Charger - Porno For Pyros
82. Just Don't Give a Fuck - Eminem
83. I Am the Highway - Audioslave
84. Unwanted - Avril Lavigne
85. Four Dead in Ohio - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
86. Rockin' the Suburbs - Ben Folds Five
87. No Rain - Blind Melon
88. Smart Bomb - Breathe
89. Danny's Song - Kenny Loggins
90. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - They Might Be Giants
91. Cannonball - The Breeders
92. Saint Joe on the School Bus - Marcy Playground
93. Pepper - Butthole Surfers
94. I Will Survive - Cake
95. The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band
96. Hits From the Bong - Cypress Hill
97. Lap Dance - N.E.R.D.
98. Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
99. Layla - Eric Clapton
100. Red Dragon Tattoo - Fountains of Wayne

Oh man, it hurts my heart just to leave it that way. Can I slip in a few more? Oh right, this is my blog. I can do whatever I damn well please.

101. Bang and Blame - REM
102. Lounge Act - Nirvana
103. She - Green Day
104. You Make Me Feel Like a Whore - Everclear
105. The General - Dispatch
106. Sink to the Bottom - Fountains of Wayne
107. Going the Distance - Cake
108. Hotel California - The Eagles
109. Pour Some Sugar on Me - Def Leppard
110. Here I Go Again - Whitesnake
111. Such Great Heights - Postal Service
112. Look Away - Chicago
113. Agua - Pilfers
114. #1 Crush - Garbage
115. Mouth (remix) - Bush
116. Somewhere Only We Know - Keane
117. We Are the Champions - Queen
118. Say My Name - Destiny's Child
119. Paranoid Android - Radiohead
120. Time Bomb -Rancid
121. Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
122. I Feel Fine - Riddlin' Kids
123. She Fuckin' Hates Me - Puddle of Mudd
124. Square Dance - Eminem
125. Anthem For the Year 2000 - Silverchair

OK I think I've exhausted my power on this one, but I repeat, there is NO ORDER to that list. You can't possibly think that I think that Under the Bridge is only the 121st best song ever, or that Cover This is better than Gold Digger. And also, there are many more songs I love and am itching to add (read: Bats in the Belfry - Dispatch, For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica, Sleep Now in the Fire - Rage Against the Machine) but alas, I digress. Also, give me some credit. I am aware of which songs are covers. I selected the song by the version I like best. If you say Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" is better than Jimi's, you're just a liar. Also, if you're one of those people who can't admit a song is good just because it was a hit single, go away. I hate your kind.

Obesessive lists to look forward to: Best overall CDs ever; Best books ever; Best lip glosses; Things everyone who calls himself a human being should have. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home