Friday, October 06, 2006

About nothing, really

I'm not sure what I think about anymore. I know lots of time passes, and I know that out of however many hours in the week I'm not sleeping, I spent 16 of them at Maxim, 4 in Copy Editing, 2.5 each in Russian and Creative Writing, and at least 2 hours every Thursday night watching TV. (I make up the rest in TiVo whenever I get a shot.) As for the rest of the time, I have nooo idea where it goes. Not that this is an unusual feeling, I know, but this time, it's just weird. Life is literally just slipping away and that might be OK if I could remember how I was spending it but right now it's 1:00 on a Thursday night/Friday morning and I'm not so sure how I got here.

I sure can entertain myself on the Internet though. I just googled just about everyone I know (and discovered to my embarrassment that it seems anyone I've ever been friends with who googles themselves will find themselves on my blog - yup, I reminisce a lot, I'm a loser, what can ya do), and like everyone else, I have those websites I must check multiple times daily: in my case, www.nytimes.com, www.mediabistro.com, www.people.com, www.facebook.com, www.onlysimchas.com, www.tv.com, www.imdb.com...you get the idea. Today I had lots of time to kill so I played hours worth of Alchemy and Text Twist. I'm not gonna lie, I miss playing literati with Mechi, even if he kicks my ass every time.

And I think, of course. I think I spend a lot of time just thinking about stuff that mattered once, and people that mattered once (which isn't to say they don't matter in life, just that they no longer figure prominently in mine). You know what doesn't help? Knowing everyone's birthdays. That means that at least for a moment almost every day, I think of someone I rarely, if ever, speak to. It's only the sixth of October and already, I remember that the third was Mannasse's birthday, and Tuesday was Dani Leeds's, and yesterday was Judd Bogdansky's, and today is Aliza Chanales's and Daniel "Princess" Strauss's, and tomorrow will be Talia Braun's, and two days after that will be my old housekeeper Dolly's, and the 12th will be Jake's, and the 14th will be Sarah (Trachtman) Blechner's and Chani (Lindenbaum) Bersson's, and the 15th will be Rosy's...and even though I don't think I speak to a single one of those people more than twice a year, I will probably still think about every single one this month. (And Happy Birthday to whoever happens to google themselves and discovers that I remember their birthday).

It's late, I'm tired, and my non-existent life leaves me with nothing interesting to say. OH! Total lie, actually. My Dad was declared NED - No Evidence of Disease. We went to La Carne Grill last night to celebrate - t'was good, not amazingly fabulous. Food at Prime Grill is better, but La Carne's service is considerably better and the tables aren't on top of each other, so that gives it like 50 points over PG).

And of course, Mazel Tov to Tani Palefski on being an uncle to a widely-unexpected first Palefski girl (and I'm sure you all join me in wishing darling Ayla "Peanut" that she gets Molly's nose), and to Adam Dalezman on the birth of his first nephew, who we can safely expect to become a dirty, wrestling-loving, man-touching pimp any day now.

Happy Succos!

1 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger dani said...

I love you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home