Monday, January 12, 2009

The City vs. The Hills

OK, so I just finished watching the first three episodes of The City in a row and I couldn't help but conjure up some thoughts on the New York version of the Hills. For one thing, it sucks less than the Hills, mostly because the people are less vapid and seeing scenes in East Village is way more exciting than the fake facade of Spencer and Heidi's apartment. (That's right, that's not even their apartment they're showing.) Unlike Lauren, who I loved once upon a time, Whitney A) doesn't cut her friends out of her life the second they spend five minutes with a guy she once had a drink with, or whatever, and B) seems to actually know how to do work and legitimately succeed in her professional life. Also, no Spencer.

But what the hell is up with the apartments in this show? The only accurate portrayal of city living in this show thus far is the fact that real estate agents are shady and will constantly tell you that apartments are totally unavailable. Not that I think Whitney needs to pretend to be poor, but can we at least acknowledge in some way that this is a completely outrageous, $5000/mo apartment? Please? Also, her first pair ever of Manolos? Whatever.

Although, speaking of fancy, gorgeous shoes, or, more accurately, what walks in them, I must say that though her face ain't much to look at, Whitney just may have the best legs ever. A little bit I hate her. But then I remember how much less annoying she is than Heidi and I start to like her again.

The best part about The City though? The fact that they actually named the show after what people from the area actually call the area--for once, no stupid reference to "The Big Apple," the least used nickname by actual natives ever. Thanks, MTV. Thanks.

1 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger (tani) said...

I'm leaving this comment only because i'm trying to leave comments on all of your posts...i have absolutely nothing to say about this subject.

Well, actually, i guess i can relate to your enthusiasm for seeing scenes from the village. Nick & Norah was like that for me.

See? I did it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home