The Tricky Businesses Of...
Life is hard. I know, I know - trite much? But good Lord do we make it harder on ourselves. There is a vast number of things that I can't help but think might be easier if judgment didn't exist, but then again, what kind of world would that be?
Being engaged: Forget the ring - everyone knows the judgment on that one - and the politics of the guest list - because if I think about it again, I may seriously consider eloping in the Cravatheteria. The newest issue I'm discovering about being engaged? Trying not to talk about it too much, despite the fact that it's obviously what most of my life revolves around right now. Yes, friends, I see your eyes glaze over when I'm talking, and I'm aware I'm supposed to take that as a sign, but sometimes, there really just is nothing else going on in life - no boy drama, no "where's my relationship going", no job, no "who am I living with next year?", no grad school, no "what do I want to do with my life?", no "my roommate is driving me crazy", no "I learned something really interesting in class today" or even "I learned something really interesting in Gemara today", and anyone who knows me knows that I certainly don't want to talk about what I've been writing lately, and no one wants to hear about the computer games I've been playing. So basically, I think my biggest problem is not that I'm so wedding-centric - maybe it's that I've become predictable and boring. And hey, isn't that what marriage is all about?
Getting an A: There is nothing to be done about the fact that some classes are harder than others; some classes require attendance for an A while others can be skipped the entire semester; some people need to work their asses off all semester while others just cram for the final and get an A; different TAs can make a world of difference; the Stern curve, etc. etc. etc. I work - not as much as plenty of other people, I'm sure, but I work. I have more consistent writing homework than pretty much anyone I know. I take one of the hardest foreign languages out there. I rarely, rarely, rarely miss class. Oh, and I take classes and teachers who seem pretty determined to hand out As like a Rutgers girl giving STDs at a frat party. Does that devalue my As? My personal jury's still out on that one.
Affirmative action: I think I'll leave this one off the blog, but needless to say, my bleeding heart liberal of a fiance and I had quite the debate about this on the subway.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home