Venty vent vent
My head is a blur today. You know when things are just so frustrating that you can't think straight, but nothing's that bad that it consumes your entire frustrated focus? So, that's where I'm at. What's bothering me, you ask? Well, read on, darlings, read on!
Moving to another city when you've spent your whole life in a 45-minute vicinity is tough. You know what makes it tougher? When people don't appreciate how tough it is. Philadelphia is 2 hours minimum from New York. Each way. So when you just assume that of course I'll be at your birthday party or give me crap about how infrequently you see me, what you're ignoring is that IT IS A PAIN IN THE ASS to constantly travel back and forth. Oh, and also, it's expensive. That's right--even a $12 bus ride adds up when A) you take it in both directions and B) you take it with another person. So yes, pretty much every time Yoni and I come into New York via bus, it costs us about 50 bucks. And every time we do it via car? Yup, that's right, we still pay gas and tolls. Now, to be fair, our friends have been awesome about visiting, and almost everyone has made the trek out to Philly at least once (or plans to this summer) and for that I am extremely grateful, but annoyance at me for not making enough time for either friends or family has got to stop before I go nuts.
No, we won't be coming in for Shabbos at any point during the winter, or any other time when Shabbos starts before seven. No, we won't be spending any holidays in Manhattan. No, when we say we can't come in for Mother's Day, it does not mean that we can come in two days earlier for Shabbos. No, it is not reasonable to expect that I'm going to travel for 4 hours to spend 1 hour with anyone.
That said, I am very much looking forward to my unpressured and voluntary visit to New York on Sunday. Hoorah!
What else is bothering me? Well, one's job-related, and posting it is probably a bad idea. Another is related to a certain person who for all I know reads this, or will potentially stumble upon it, and so posting that is probably a bad idea. Boy do I wish I had an anonymous blog. I think the dumbest thing I ever did was write on my "25 things" note on Facebook that I comment on Gawker. (In part because I didn't know that the policy was changed so that now anyone can post on Gawker, so it was just a dumb thing to say.) Now every time I write something, I first think about the fact that people I know will read it and know that it's me. Anonymity is for cowards, for sure, but it certainly allows for some enjoyable venting.
Currently loving:
"U.R.A. Fever" by the Kills
"Mad World" by Adam Lambert
"The Seed (2.0)" by The Roots
"The Queen and I" by Gym Class Heroes
"The World Should Revolve Around Me" by Little Jackie


4 Comments:
Woo! New Post! Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. See you Sunday!
P.S. I apologize if I ever acted like a tool re: visitations.
P.P.S. I'm pretty sure I never had.
P.P.P.S. How much longer can I keep this going?
P.P.P.P.S. Evidently this long.
Your fb comment reminded me that I wanted to post here...
While I agree that it's a pain to be so close, but yet still so far, at least you don't have to spend at least 6 hours on a plane and at least $300 to make it back east. And it's not like that many people have actually come to visit me out here (hint hint).
But yes, I would love to cook for you at some point soon.
OK point taken, but you are expected to travel to NY waaaaaay less frequently, which is excellent. I am sorry I never came to visit, but that whole $300 thing you mentioned? Yeah...
Looking forward to the cooking though!
Yeah I have been meaning to talk to you about this....I am just really upset that you didn;t make it to my dogs birthday party last week and I think spending 50 dollars is the LEAST you could do! Just sayin...
Post a Comment
<< Home