Tuesday, May 05, 2009

No One Told Me Life Was Gonna Be This Way (insert claps)

My friends are old. Not in the "holy crap, we're 25" kind of way, but in the "jeeeeez, I've known you forever" kind of way. It's been a long time since I've made new, close friends. We're talking something like five years here, people. And you know what was five years ago? Sophomore year of college. Which is just sick. And makes me feel ancient.

But seriously, I feel like I've forgotten how it's done. And granted, it's never so easy as it is when you're shoved into classes or dorms with people and they're right there at your fingertips, but still--it feels like some of the skills should have remained, no?

So I try to remember when I first became friends with people. Well, really there are two interesting points: When you literally first met someone, and when you realized that you were legitimately friends. I find this first part almost impossible to recall. My two oldest friends, Chaya and Rebecca, have been in my life so long that it's literally inconceivable that there was a part of my life which did not contain them. And, for all intents and purposes, there isn't--the memory starts sticking around three years old; well, so did Chaya and Rebecca. And everything before that? Well, I don't remember it anyway, and you know that whole thing about the tree falling in the forest. However, I do recall meeting Sara Winkler, my next oldest friend, though it was not love at first sight. Oh well; fortunately, things change!

Of course, back in the day, it was tougher to determine when you'd become friends. Now you seal the deal when you've got someone's digits in your cell phone, their e-mail address saved in your contacts, and, of course, you've cemented the bonds of friendship via Facebook. But in a way, this is misleading, because, just so you know, THIS TOTALLY DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU'RE FRIENDS. So I miss the days where you eventually caught on your friendship was the real deal because you discussed your issues with the opposite sex, or because you started sitting together in the cafeteria, or because they went out of their way to do something nice for you on you birthday. When I think of how long it's been since I made real new friends, I kind of like to blame it on technology. YOU SUCK, TECHNOLOGY! There, take that.

Except that without technology, it'd be a lot harder to keep in touch with the old friends, and then where would we be? But then again (twist!), maybe we'd have a better idea of who our real friends are instead of just assuming that the person who keeps in touch the best (probably because they're so bored they have nothing better to do than post on your wall or G-Chat with you all day) is the best friend. These days, though I hate the phone, I can't help but feel a kinship with people who call me--it's just so damn nice when someone actually goes out of their way to show they care these days that I actually answer it instead of screening like I used to.

So yeah, things change, for better or for worse. Actually, for better and for worse, but what can you do but go with the flow, really? Oh, and appreciate the people who actually take the time to comment on your blog. I heart you, Tani and Phil, I truly do. And for you guys, the rememberence special:

T--I met you in Morasha younger Shtili summer with a few other people, but I didn't know your name, and I wasn't sure if the name on your kippah was yours or not, so you were just the kid with the long hair. And then the next summer we hung out on visiting day and that was when I officially knew we were friends, which gave me the cojones to e-mail you when we got home. Your first two e-mails back were assholesque, but the third read "i'm not mad i don't hate you all those times i said i did i was just kidding." To this day, still warms the cockles of my cold, cold heart.

Phillllip--I don't remember the first time I actually met you, but it was the Shabbos kisses that did it. You always used to give me a kiss on the cheek when I saw you on Friday night and I knew we were friends when I realized it was part of my Shabbos ritual. Our friendship was cemented when my RA told me you were a slut and to stay away from you.

Ah well, you know me--nostalgic to a fault.

3 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger (tani) said...

Your post rings true. In grad school making friends is really hard & awkward. There are only like, 4 people i can rightfully call
friends from grad school even though i talk to almost everyone in my classes and stuff. It's weird.

Funny you mention that kippah thing because i'm pretty sure i was purposefully wearing one emblazoned with a name other my own just to be annoying.

Re: my emails. Hilarious!

What else? Oh yea, nice 30 Rock reference!

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Philip E. Wolgin said...

HAHA spectacular. All the things that will probably come up on a google search of my name in five years from now...

I dig nostalgia though.

And, though I'm sure we met somewhere in the Kosher Caf, I'm not going to mention (online) the first concrete memory I have of you and our friendship. Think close to the Weinstein dorm room of someone who just got engaged.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Philip E. Wolgin said...

And to continue on the I leave way the hell on the west coast thing, without technology I'd basically talk to no one on the east coast. So all in all, I'm pretty happy with it, though I agree, it certainly has its faults.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home