Tuesday, February 14, 2006

St. Valentine's Day, Massacred

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one's around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

Well here's a better one for you. If Valentine's Day occurs, and your boyfriend has no idea, does it still count as a happy romantic day?

I think we can all answer that one.

I can't blame Yoni entirely. The complete devaluing of Valentine's Day is something that we as Jews are definitely guilty of. Guys take advantage of the fact that the word "St." appears before Valentine's and use it as an excuse why roses and Godiva are not necessary. Well let me tell you, gentlemen - they may not be necessary, but I promise I would never turn up my nose at a gold foil box of truffles because I thought it was Avodah Zarah (i.e. idol worship, in case any non-Jews ever read this.)

On my way into 13th Street, I passed the mail court which held a beautiful vase of pink roses sent to some chick named Jackie Johnson. OK, I know it seems cheesy, and flowers are "so cliche", but you find me a girl who doesn't secretly find it thrilling to be surprised with flowers and I'll find you a liar. (Which won't take long, because it'll be the same girl, in case you weren't following.)

Maybe we Jews are just an unromantic people. This isn't like Halloween, where we have Purim to make up for not dressing up in costumes and getting candy, or Christmas, where we have Chanukah to make up for not getting presents. All we really have is Tu B'Av, and I don't recall ever getting roses on Tu B'Av, which means that we are completely content to have a day where we don't celebrate love. We can't stand the thought of having a day where we can't dress up like a hobo, but love, oh yeah, that's disposable.

So now I have a new goal. Either, it's time to bring Valentine's Day into Jewish culture, or make Tu B'Av actually mean something (that is, for people other than Mikey and Gail who are apparently getting married then. That's nice!). And now, I'm off to dinner with the only date I DO have today...Miss Jessica Lee Feld.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home