Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Mein Kinderwhore

PLEASE PLEASE tell me you can figure out who this poem is about, b/c if not, Poetry is going to be really awkward on Thursday:

Mein Kinderwhore

He died with a shotgun wedged between the lips
That had kissed her, ravaged her,
Curved into a smile when he said her name.

He pulled the trigger with his toe
and it was three days before an electrician
stumbled upon the blood-spattered attic.

She wasn't there.
She was Living Through
something, but not This.

She of the bleached blond
bared breasts bad reputation that no
Versace dress could truly fix

sky of amethyst

Cruel and tortured pain of being
nobody's daughter and everybody's suspect
documented in dots on Celebrity Skin.

So, I thought it was pretty self-explanatory when I wrote it, but then in class today I wasn't sure anymore. I guess we'll see. Anyway, today was a nice day. Of course, it was Barrie's birthday (happy 22 B!) and I just got back from a really nice dinner at Makor with Barrie, Sasha, Alison, and Seth (after which I went into the wrong subway, and when I emerged, I was looking at Tracy Fogel. So weird. What a week for ex-boyfriends' sisters, huh?) which was lovely, especially after we got Sasha to chug several glasses of wine in a row. I also finally picked up Prep again, and although I'm not quite sure what Curtis Sittenfield is trying to achieve with this book, I am enjoying it. Not getting as much out of it as Raphi, the friend who loaned it to me, but enjoying it nonetheless.

Also, Zehava got engaged, which she's not loudly publicizing, but I am, so MAZEL TOV ZEVI! Zehava, for those not in the know, is one of my oldest and dearest - she's actually my third-oldest friend, after Rebecca Trachtman and Sara Winkler. Beat that. And now she's engaged. And her last name is going to be Yudkowitz. But she's excited for that.

I also finally communicated with Ricki today, which was super exciting, since I don't know what the hell she's doing in India but she sounds happy, and she's def in better shape than HLSG (indeed the phantom Kundera lover) who tore some ligaments today. Refuah Shleimah, Hantzibear. Aaaand I got the first of my interviews for my magazine final on college marriage done today, thanks to Sara (Ackerman) Gherman, Hannah (Kornreich) Lastoff, and Ilan Lastoff. Marriage sounds complicated but I gotta say, they're all looking and sounding pretty damn happy and it's hard to argue with that, no?

Oh, and Barrie's awesome because she brought me home lots of candy from London, and isn't that what friendship is all about?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home