Friday, March 24, 2006

Retail Therapy

I was informed tonight that I am in "serious need of updating [my] blog", so here I am, although I don't have any particular deep thoughts or relevant social commentary. I just got back from Miami on Sunday, which was lots of fun mixed with nauseating bouts of low self-esteem at the sight of the ridiculously good-looking South Beach residents, which only got worse yesterday when I went to a designer jeans sale (True Religion, Rock 'n Republic, 7 For all Mankind...70 to 80 bucks!!) and none of them fit. To make matters worse, I was with the very tiny Rebecca Trachtman at the time. Oh well. At least I like her.

But Miami was great, and it was interesting to go on a trip with all guys (though Mia was a very welcome shot of estrogen), especially when I was feeling particularly low in the body image area, because while it makes you feel even less attractive, you also can't really compare yourself to anyone else (until hot-body Mia anyway) so I guess in that sense it's good. Lots of adventures - everything seemed to go perfectly except for the two times we got lost thanks to Mapquest's crappy directions. I read East of Eden, which was amazing, and half of Prep, which wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be, but I'm still waiting for Raphi to finish it so he can give me the damn thing and I can finish it. East of Eden got me on a whole lit kick so I just bought Vanity Fair (Thackeray, not Conde Nast) and Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which I know one of my friends loves, but I can't remember who. Anyway, I want to finish Prep so I can move onto one of those. That's the great thing about being in classes that don't require heavy reading.

Also enjoyed my first Thai food, my first hibachi experience, did some swimming, got crazy burnt shoulders (something I hope NOT to repeat when I go to Orlando for Pesach), first time staying in a penthouse...and first time realizing that I might be too old for the whole thing. I mean, we did not go into a single club or bar the entire time, though I think that might just be because that whole experience would have been so cliche, and we're all just snobby enough to avoid Prive and Senor Frog's just because. I bet that if we were in Istanbul, we would've had plenty more to drink. Spring break 2006, anyone?

Of course, two seconds after I got back, I had Jessica Feld's engagement party, which thrust me back into this world of "everyone's pregnant or married or engaged" that I wasn't in the mood for but it was worth it to see Jess so happy (and frankly, to spend lots of time with Zehava because that's pretty much all I did at the party.) Crazy Morasha sightings - Giti (and I finally saw her boy), Ari Yablok, Moshe Rosenberg, Dovid Kram (who invited Yoni to his wedding next week, but had no idea that we were dating), Akiva and Chani Bersson, and most random of all, Craig Berry, who, btw, looked really good. (I'm allowed to say that, right?) So that was that, hooray neverending chain of people getting engaged.

Now life is just back to school, which means writing bad poetry and making wedding guest lists during History of the Roman Empire while my friend Jason takes notes and later tutors me for the final. Magazine Article is going really well though - my teacher always laughs about how he gives everyone Cs, and I know he does because my friend gets them and I see them on people's papers, but I've never gotten one. Not only that, but he offered to help me edit my final article from last semester on college students whose parents suffer from critical illnesses (possibly turning it into two separate articles) so that I can finally submit it for publication, which is REALLY nice because that really has nothing to do with him at all - it was my final for another class! For this class, I'm writing my final on getting married in college...thankfully, I know a couple of people I can speak to about that! Also, I finally submitted my query letter to Glamour - fingers crossed! It would help if I had some published clips...

Oh, has anyone been watching that new show on Fox, the Loop? The commercials made it look great and I was really excited for it, but I missed it last week because I was in Miami, and Yoni and I watched it tonight and there was something so odd about it. Like, it made me laugh out loud, but something was off. I think the directing is bad, which is so unusual. Usually it's the writing or the actors but I really think in this case it's the direction (and sometimes the writing, though sometimes the writing was really good.) At least I enjoyed both the OC and ER...Will and Grace wasn't so great, and I'm sorry I missed last week's because it sounded awesome. Again, Miami is always getting in the way...

And I realize I didn't mention retail therapy, but basically I've been cranky lately and I've done some more shopping than usual. Now it's just a matter of me deciding it's OK to buy those skirts from Anthropologie.com that I am totally itching to get...Anyone want to get me a $95 belated b-day present?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home