A Mention That is More Than Honorable
So, upon further reflection, I would like to give Melissa Etheridge even more Daily Dahlia time. First of all, after that guy covered "Come to my Window", I went straight to iTunes and downloaded it. (That's right, I'm legally downloading these days! It sucks a little, but oh the warm feeling inside...and I'm quite a long time virus free...) Then I remembered how good her other songs are. Then I remember how incredibly kickass she was when she came out, bald as an eggshell, and completely rocked Janis Joplin's "Piece of my Heart." Now, I may not love Janis Joplin (thanks in large part to my brother's comparison of me to her when my hair is long and unwashed, which is most of my life), but that doesn't mean that I think just anyone has the right to go out and cover her songs, but Melissa Etheridge was just so oh my God that I thought I was going to cry. And actually, I also remember crying to "Like the Way I do" once. She is just so good.
As for covering songs by members of the opposite sex (as mentioned in previous blog), I definitely didn't use to be so into it, but I have found a great many cross-sexed covers that I think are just fab. Oh don't worry, you know I'm going to list the top five for you now...
1. I Will Survive - Cake (I LOVE THIS SONG. If you ever break up with someone, listen to it on heavy rotation)
2. Baby, One More Time - Fountains of Wayne (Great acoustic cover by one of my favorite bands)
3. Maybe I'm Amazed - Jem (Even Yoni doesn't hate this one!)
4. Sweet Dreams (are Made of This) - Marilyn Manson (Such great, raw power. I'm not gonna lie, I do like Marilyn Manson)
5. I Love Rock 'N Roll - Local H (And I don't say this just because I like Local H, and think Copasetic is a great song, and listening to Fritz's Corner on maximum volume is a great way to relieve anger. But I do)
Also, funny story. This morning in class, my Mag Article professor was announcing who was missing what work, and he said I was missing my query letter revision, so I explained that I'd handed in the revision on hard copy, but that when I e-mailed it (he wants e-mail EVERYTHING, which drives me crazy, and then he edits it on his computer and e-mails it back. No paper, ever, but I hand in hard copies sometimes anyway) I somehow accidentally sent the original. He said to just resend the revision. Fine.
Later this afternoon, I get an e-mail from him, asking for the other two assignments (ones I was not missing), and returning my query letter with corrections and a grade. Clearly, he'd forgotten the conversation we'd had only hours earlier, because the query he graded was the original, not the revision, and yet, he wrote totally different comments on it, gave it an A (instead of the A- I'd received the first time) and wrote "excellent revise." So as not to embarrass him, I haven't said a word, but I still think it's funny as hell.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home