Recognition of the Soul's Counterpart in Another
I love this line. I think it's one of the most romantic things I've ever heard. Too bad it's from Wedding Crashers. (For those who haven't seen the movie, shame on you, and the full line is "true love is the soul's recognition of its counterpart in another"). Of course, I don't think true love can be that neatly defined, but then again, the word "soul" isn't really that neatly defined. Honestly, I can't even tell you exactly what the quote is saying, but I just know it sounds nice. That's kind of how I feel about all the poems we read in class too.
Of all the abstract concepts in the world I find fascinating, I think love is at the top. They say that when you're in love, you just know. What does that mean? I mean, I had that moment where I just "knew", but how do you know, really? When is it safe to say those words and be confident that you're really backed up by your thoughts and emotions? And forget actually being in love - how do you know when you're in a relationship with the potential to get there, or when you're really in a dead end?
I think some of those questions are things you never really know the answers to, even if you've been happily married for 50 years, which is weird. But I also watch my friends in fairly fledgeling relationships and I give advice, or I live vicariously (nothing like the beginning of a relationship!) and I have to wonder, what sort of questions do you have to be able to answer before you end up with a grade of "I'm in love" (Or "I could be")? Is just wanting to see the person a lot enough? Or do you really have to feel like you add something to each other's lives? If the latter, do you have to solidly be able to identify it? Or is it enough to know that you feel more complete being with the other person? Can you still love someone if the other people in your life don't? What's if the other people you love don't love your love?
As my brother-in-law, Jonathan, would say: "I like baseball."


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home