Friday, February 17, 2006

Beauty and the Weak

How much does being attractive actually matter? And what parts of you theoretically have to be attractive? I remember that when I was younger, I used to laugh at all the girls in my bunk at Camp Morasha for how much time they spent getting ready for co-ed night activities. Then I would go the night activity in my T-shirt and shorts and talk to the guys more than anyone else, because being hot isn't worth a damn if you don't have the guts to use it. An attractive wallflower is still a wallflower; at least a weed finds itself in random, exotic locales and surrounded by some gorgeous neighbors every now and again.

I used to say that I'd never want to be really hot, and I meant it. Who wants to wonder if someone's really interested in you for you or if they're just into the way you look and think of you as some sort of trophy babe? Plus, people end up hating you for everything that they decide you are based on the way you look, and enough people hate me for real reasons that I don't need that crap added on top of it.

Everyone knows the categories of attractiveness. There's "cute", "pretty", "attractive", "sexy", and "hot." Don't pretend you can't tell the difference. Reese Witherspoon? Clearly cute. Clearly not hot. Angelina Jolie? Definitely not cute. Attractive. Sexy. Hot. Sure. But she's not cute. Other celebrities? Lindsay Lohan - attractive. Scarlett Johanssen - pretty (If you like that type, which I don't. Or maybe I just don't like her.) Sandra Bullock - pretty. Jennifer Aniston - varies between pretty and attractive. Keira Knightley - sexy (though too bony for me). The only person I can think of who I think I've seen pull off every one is Halle Berry, but that face literally transcends beauty.

So what has to be attractive? I've seen girls with gorgeous hair. That doesn't do it. Blond hair will get them noticed, but it won't pull them through. Ditto with eyes. People are considered hot who have boring eyes and people I know with gorgeous eyes aren't given a second look if their body doesn't match up. However, a great body doesn't always do it either. There are always those girls who get talking about like "hey, did you ever notice that Jane has a great body?" and this question must be asked because no one ever talks about Jane and so something nice must be mentioned but her great body isn't enough, even if for some people, lacking a great body is all that keeps them from really attracting someone. And then, how come so many perfectly average, or even heavy, or even on the other side of what's conventionally considered attractive people find people who think they're the greatest thing since raw cookie dough, and some ppl who get talked about simply because people think they're gorgeous don't find anyone?

Dissecting superficiality makes my head hurt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home