Wednesday, February 22, 2006

If They Ask on my Deathbed, I'll Deny

OK, for one night only, I'm going to put aside my shame and comment on something that's been dear to my heart for the last 2 hours: American Idol.

I have never voted for American Idol before, but I think I'll make tonight my first one. For those of you who've been watching, or at least watched tonight, here's what I have to say:

1. Chris Daughtry (sang "Wanted Dead or Alive") - my vote. Love the song. Love that he sang a Sheryl Crow song for the last one (don't remember which song, just that it was a good choice.) Thought it was awesome.
2. First guy - not so good, but how much do I love that he covered "Come to my Window"? I couldn't stop thinking that it's absurd that no guy has made a professional cover of that before. I don't know who, but someone should. But not this guy - he was bad.
3. Kid who looks like Harry Potter but sings like a young black R&B artist - well, that's really all there is to say about that. He's kind of an arrogant MoFo too.
4. "Sway", a.ka. Fedora Guy - Liked the Fedora. Not the guy so much. I can appreciate a falsetto (case in point, when Mass Transit sings Mooney Suzuki's Alive and Amplified) but that guy was just not good. He should see whatever guy did Adam Levine and James Blunt. However, his one really high falsetto was actually great. Otherwise, sucked.
5. Bobby Bennett - Cracked me up with Copa Cabana, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but he's juuuust about the furthest thing from an American Idol, ever.
6. Guy who sang Shout - Fun that he sang "Shout", but his smile's really creepy. For once, I agree with Simon.
7. Bucky something - cute, and every since Bo Bice, I'm loving the southern guys who sing Lynyrd Skynyrd...but oh my God when he opens his mouth I want to throw things into it.
8. Ace Young - So pretty. So, so pretty. And boy, can he sing George Michael. However, I'm not sure I find that appealing.
9. The 16-year-old who sang Jackson Five because he said the voice sounded like his - guess what - it's doesn't. You were bad. Cute, but bad.
10. The last guy - looks like he's forty, but he's some kinda wonderful. Damn, was he good.
Last two guys - don't even remember them.

And now, I switch into Highbrow gear for my reading and mental commentary on Spring Fashion as I finally get to read last week's New York magazine...and this is the first mag I'm reading today that doesn't mention Matisyahu! And happy 28th birthday to my lovely sister, Tamar, who doesn't read this blog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home