April Showers Bring Lotsa Stuff
Well, it's been an eventful week. First of all, big Mazel Tov to Jessica Bartel and her fiance, Eytan Zadoff. Thankfully, the seating arrangements for my wedding were already prepared to accommodate this one, so I can handle it. Second of all, happy birthday to love of my life Jessica Nicole Lerer. Third of all, welcome home to my darling Elizabeth - it's about damn time. And congratulations to Josh Friedman on getting into Columbia law for next year - how crazy! And good luck to all those who will be spending Pesach with their noses buried in MCAT books, especially my darling Rebecca, who will KICK ASS, I have no doubt.
That said, today I had a request to share my wisdom on that most glorious of places. Upon my favorite editor-in-chief's request, ladies and gentlemen, brace yourselves for:
TOP TEN SEPHORA ITEMS
10. NARS Lip Lacquer in Baby Doll - I love this color. I think it's the perfect pink, great with just black eyeliner and mascara.
9. Smashbox Photo-Finish Primer - I confess, I don't own this one, but I assure you that when I'm older and primer becomes a necessary makeup layer, I will own tons. Especially because they now make a tinted one.
8. DKNY Be Delicious Lip Gloss - DNKY Be Delicious Perfume + MAC Lip Glass = The best thing ever. So glossy, so delicious (tastes like green apple), and less sticky than the original glass. (Though still goopy - you may want to keep your hair back for this one.)
7. Benefit Dallas - My newest obsession. You can totally cover yourself in it and make it look like you spent a week in Florida. If you have darker skin, it's a great dramatic blush. (Looked great on Talia Kraemer, for whoever that helps understand.) NOTE: You MUST try this on in the store. If you're pale, this is probably not for you. It's more for darker skin or for enhancing a tan.
6. Cargo Lip Gloss - OK, granted, 19 bucks is a little steep for lip gloss, but at least you get two in one, and since I have about five of these...well, ten lip glosses certainly helps boost my collection. My color recommendations? Bora Bora (A sheer purple and a great hot pink) and Ipanema (Another great hot pink and gold, which is perfect for painting an upside-down T on your lips and making them look plumper)
5. Lorac Eyeliner - I've tried Joey, I've tried Delux Beauty, and I've tried Sephora, and Lorac are the only ones that go on smoothly and perfectly smudgy so it's easy to make a straight line. I have both the black (#2) and the blue (#15), both of which I love and use regularly.
4. Sephora Lip Gloss Pencils - These things are so cool. They glide on like pencils, feel like gloss, are surprisingly moisturizing and deeply pigmented, and taste like mango. Only downside is that the colors are kind of extreme on their own. Perfect for layering though. (My favorite - the brown pencil covered with watermelon lip glaze)
3. DiorShow mascara - I could not possibly sing the praises of this mascara enough. It thickens, it lengthens, it curls...it's just wonderful. Also available in colors and waterproof!
2. Rosebud salve - Excellent lip balm, doubles as eyebrow tamer, and keeps powdered makeup in place. Oh yeah, and it's under six bucks. What more can you ask for?
1. Stila Lip Glaze - Tons of colors (I have watermelon and a watermelon/starfruit combo; my mom has black cherry and blackberry; Barrie has blackberry, which I bought her) all of which taste AWESOME. Considering lilac makeup is in for spring, I would have to recommend Fig for this season. Yum.
Some other notes on Sephora awesomeness: Cargo eyeshadow - fabulous - I was just trying not to double up on any brands, but Cargo is definitely my favorite eyeshadow these days. My sister loves Corsica, which is a light gold, and I love Yukon, which is a dark metallic brown. Also, I personally don't use NARS blush, but anyone who's read anything about makeup in the last year knows that NARS blush in Orgasm (which now has matching lip gloss) is supposed to be the greatest blush of all time. Personally, I prefer Victoria's Secret blush in Mosaic Spice, and the only other powder blush from Sephora I ever ever use is Benefit Dandelion (and now Dallas). I also use Becca Creme Blush in Frangipani and Alchemy cream blush, which no longer exists (first thing I ever bought in an American Sephora!) Also a big fan of Bourjous multi-shimmer loose powder eye shadow - such a neat package and great shimmer colors! Also, while I don't enjoy the consistency of this lip gloss, more than one person had borrowed it from me and adored the color - Passport lip gloss in Shekel. Another one - DuWop Lip Venom - Don't try it if you can't take the pain. I'm not gonna lie, it hurts like hell, but it gives a great shine and I love the flavor. I don't know anything about the lip-plumping properties but considering how much it stings, I'll believe it.
And now for some not-so-awesomeness, i.e. the things not to waste your money on at Sephora...
Benefit blush in Georgia - I can't even imagine how pale you have to be for this weak peach blush to show up on your skin.
Pout lip gloss - This lip gloss is way too oily. I own it in Dirty Gertie, and when I put it on, the coverage is so bad that I have to rub for minutes just so that you can't see patches of my lips through it! Do not waste the 16 bucks!
Hmm, that's all I can think of off the top of my head. There's not much I don't love at Sephora!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home