Thursday, August 14, 2008

Stop! Hammer Time

100 Posts. I know I'm supposed to be writing about the rest of the honeymoon, but this is my 100th post, and I thought it should be about it being my 100th post. Kind of post-modern chic.

I like blogging. It's fun. It's like thinking out loud and getting feedback. I don't do it as often as "The Daily Dahlia" would suggest, but that's probably because no one actually reads it, and even fewer people comment on it, and it makes me feel silly and like I'm exerting too much effort. Kind of like writing a book series no one reads. But that's me, I guess.

I said before that I had no life experience, but I think I take that back. I think that when you have a moment where you realize that life can throw anything at you and somehow, you can handle it, because you have to, you sort of gain it automatically. And as much as I'm struggling through my move to Philly, and as much as it terrifies me to know that I'll need to learn how to drive, and as much as I hate giving up a job I struggled through until I loved it, I suddenly remember, as I come up on a 100th post, that once upon a time, out of absolutely nowhere, the situation was that my dad was dying and I had six months to figure out how to say goodbye to a man who gave me so much, from my eyes to my personality to a home to my education to unconditional love, that it was like saying goodbye to a half of myself. And granted, I don't know what my life would have been like if I'd actually had to say the final goodbye, if my dad hadn't proved to be some medical marvel who, thank God, survived stage IV skin cancer and has now been tumor-free for about three years. But I'll always know that there was a time harder than this, and I'll always know that there will be a time harder than this, and like everything else, it will not be unconquerable.

The Daily Dahlia is my blog, but when I hear the name out loud, I think of the original e-mails, five years ago. And so, so much has happened since then. Friends change, but not as much as you think. Location changes, but it's only temporary. Families change, and this is a fact of life, and often a very positive thing. And life changes, and you roll with it, because you have to, because if you didn't, well, yeah.

So anyway, happy 100 to me.

2 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

You hit the nail on the head, my dear. It's amazing how resilient we are and how we think we can't get through something but at the same time know we'll find a way.

Hang in there, chica. I know the move is tough but it'll work out :) as everything does.

Now, I need to take my own advice haha

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger dani said...

Oh Dahl, you made me cry! You have amazing perspective, and I think you are so right. Sorry I never got to say goodbye, but I hope to see you when you come visit!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home