Monday, April 12, 2010

Failing Twice

Well, in case you haven't noticed, I failed my mission to write in my blog every month. However, I mostly forgive myself for this because I wrote for a blog on which people actually comment in March. If you haven't already checked it out: http://tv.gawker.com/5501195/the-teen-cable-shows-youre-pretending-not-to-watch. I guess I still failed, but whatever.

My greater failure, however, which I realized today, is my failure as a journalism major. I say this not because I didn't go into journalism--my major certainly contributed to my having gotten my last two jobs and I have no regrets about my selection--but because today I realized just how pathetic it is that I not only have no favorite columnist but I can't even match writers to their pieces. These details--details which are paramount to a journalism major--evade me in the same way the details I learned in my classes on Roman and Byzantine history escape me. I cannot remember the name of the guy who wrote the fabulous profile on Roger Ebert for Esquire. I cannot remember the name of the woman who wrote an excellent piece on the sale of Tibetan prepubescent girls into slavery for Marie Claire. At best, I can tell you that Michael Azzerad wrote my favorite NYT article and that Laurie Sandell has written a host of the cover features for Glamour, but I know this because Michael Azerrad also wrote the Nirvana biography Come As You Are and Laurie Sandell spoke to one of my journalism classes at NYU.

I can tell you that I enjoy Chuck Klosterman's articles in Esquire, but in truth, not one stands out. I know that I like Chuck Klosterman because I know that I liked Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. I know that I like Tom Chiarella's articles in Esquire, but again, I cannot name one. (Noticing a pattern, by the way? Esquire is so above and beyond my favorite magazine at this point that it almost makes me sad to be a woman.)

What's making me think of this today of all days? Gene Weingarten, that's what. Everyone's thrilled that he won a Pulitzer. And you know what? They probably should be. He's probably great. I read the article that won the prize, and it's excellent. (I actually hated the first couple of paragraphs, but then proceeded to breeze--and cry--through the next five pages.) I, of course, had never heard of him until today, despite the fact that I basically spent four years learning how to be someone like Gene Weingarten. What is wrong with me?

To be fair, I no longer want to be a journalist, and am quite set on my goals of being an editor and a young adult fiction writer, and I'm considerably more well-versed in the areas of books in general and young adult lit, specifically, but still. FOUR YEARS!

Today, I am a failure.

Twice.

3 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Blogger (tani) said...

I wouldn't make too much out of all that, Spoolio. I was an English major & now an English "master" and I'm constantly reminded of all the super-great authors I haven't read ever...pretty shameful, but that's the way things are, you can't read your whole life away.

I'm sure I'll get to Tolstoy at some point in my life, right?

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger BKrause said...

I'm a history major who can't remember dates nor the names of important figures...I chose history because I had an aptitude for the subject and enjoyed the classes while I was in them, despite the large memory dump that occurred after each semester was over.
But then again, some of that stuff comes back to you at the most random times. Thank you "interchangable parts" from 7th grade social studies. Made me seem like a genius on the first day of a university-level class.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger dani said...

Yeah that article made me totally cry....super devastating.
About my comp lit major status--I feel the same way. SOOO mnay "classics" that I feel like I should have read and never have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home