Monday, November 09, 2009

Success Off the Listy Path

The eyeshadow has been received! Another item down! Hurray! I haven't tried it yet, and I've been coveting it since it was hugely in style and now it isn't at all, but whatever! I already have plenty of metallics and glitter so I feel set for this season; no harm in going a little retro. One thing about makeup--it all comes back into style eventually.

Not on my list but still exciting: Yoni and I went to Max and David's for dinner last night, which, for those who don't know, is Philly's "nice" kosher restaurant. I will say, I don't love everything on the menu, but I do love the place itself, there's immense variety in the offerings, and some of the food is damn good. Plus, it's pretty nicely priced, especially considering what the prices for a similar place would be in New York. We went for our anniversary, which was a "go all out and spend whatever" kind of occasion--a nice rarity for us considering we're painfully poor at the moment--and got all sorts of deliciousness. (I highly recommend the chicken enchilada appetizer, though I don't think I would get my Duck Duet again--too oily.) Yoni's lamb was awesome, and I don't remember what he got as an appetizer because mine was so much better, but we got the carrot cake for dessert which is awesome.

Funny thing, though--I kind of ruined the whole carrot cake experience for myself because the cookbook I bought on our vacation in North Carolina has an incredible carrot cake recipe which I parvefied right down to the cream-cheese frosting, and now I no longer find the M&D carrot cake as magical.

Anyway, back to last night. This time, we were celebrating our dating anniversary (6 years!), our engagement anniversary (3 years! and obviously this is a totally made up occasion but I think it's still nice) and Yoni's job offer (the least BS of all the occasions). Since they were all kind of made up occasions, this was our "keep it under 20 bucks each" night, which was perfect since I was dying to try the fried chicken and Yoni was really curious about the burger. Both were good, and our final bill came out to 30 bucks, which seemed kind of laughable.

Oh my God, did I just write a "what I ate for dinner last night" post in all seriousness? I did, didn't I. Sad. Anyway, my point was that Yoni and I had set the goal to do the "under 20 bucks" night to get those specific entrees, and we followed through, so even though it wasn't on my list, it felt like something else accomplished.

Anyway, my list seems to be coming along nicelyish, and I've prepared a list of the new recipes I want to make in order to help me get through that one. (I'm happy to report that my lemon bars were a success! Yoni and I have eaten nearly an entire 9x13 of them. Since Friday. That's gross.) The list includes zucchini soup (which my mom makes and is awesome; it's from the KBD Pesach cookbook, for anyone who's interested), chicken and sausage cassoulet (from the wonderful little cookbook that came with my crockpot), Moroccan meat turnovers from KBD Short on Time, baked apples, and blondies from this blog: http://spicytamale.wordpress.com/. Come by some time and try 'em!

OH, and I completely forgot that I completed another one! Rebecca and Josh have now been to apartment, making it three new couples/people who've been to the Philly Fischbowl! Dun, dun, dun--another one bites the dust! Woo!

Oh, and speaking of classic rock (sort of), apparently Steven Tyler quit Aerosmith. WTF?! I thought it was just a nasty rumor that I read on EW.com last night and then today it was in the Times. Worse. News. Ever. Remember when I had tickets to the 9/14 show and then they canceled it and refunded our money and I was massively upset? Well, dial that up to ridiculously, massively, insanely pissed off that I was trying to make sure I caught a show while they were still touring, and all for naught.

A pox upon your house, Steven. A pox upon your house.

No, not really. Oh, I can't stay mad at you. Dream on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home